Monday, July 29, 2013

Fresh herbs, take 1

When we moved at the very end of May I told myself no garden. Not this year. There was just way too much to do and I knew a garden wouldn't survive. Plus, we were late to the game in planting.

But there's nothing like fresh herbs really. And during an afternoon trip to the Christmas Tree Shop, I found myself drawn to the cutest little herb pots. At $2.99 a piece, I figured why not. Yes, it was 3 weeks into June and who knew how quickly they'd grow. But I decided to give it a go. And even better, when I went to pay, they rang in at $.75 each! Now that just cannot be beat.

There were 4 options to purchase - Chives, Parsley, Basil, and Cilantro. I went with the first 3, I am one of those people who just cannot stand Cilantro. So no, I wouldn't be growing it for just J. Gross.

I followed the instructions as recommended - grabbing a bowl to mix the soil and measuring out the specified water needed.

The jars came with a soil pod within them. This was the craziest thing! It would literally quadruple in size once water hit it. I made sure to take a video when prepping the second jar but for some reason I cannot get it to upload for the life of me. :(

Once the soil was done growing I mixed it up well, added 80% of it back into the jar, dumped in the envelope of seeds, covered with the remaining soil, and crossed my fingers.

Something I've never done before but found incredibly helpful with these herbs - watering using a spray bottle. I keep it right next to the sink (where these are growing) and spray daily. This keeps you from over watering, and has really worked well for the parsley and basil. Sadly, the chives didn't take as well.

In just under a month the herbs have far surpassed my expectations. Maybe I do have a green thumb!? Next step, I'll be transplanting the basil into a bigger pot. As you can see in the photo above, it has outgrown it's baby jar. I cannot wait to use these fresh herbs when prepping meals.

How about you, do you have a green thumb? What is your favorite plant to tend to? What is the easiest? My mom will be giving us a few perennials to add to our yard and I am SO afraid I won't be able to keep them alive. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Oh, and stay tuned! This post is take 1 for a reason. More herb stories to come. :)


If you like this post please let me know by leaving a comment or liking my Facebook page. You can also follow along on TwitterPinterest, and Instagram. Let's stay in touch!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I try to respond to all comments by e-mail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips