Monday, May 7, 2012

HM Training Update

First off- this weeks posts will not be following the blog schedule noted on the right side of the blog. Why? Well, because it's my blog and I want to switch it up. Sound good? Good.

Less than one week until our half marathon! Yikes.

Last Friday was our last long run. As I've mentioned before, we've been following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training plan. Tweaking it here or there when needed. And last Friday morning, the training took a slight tweak. With a busy weekend planned for both of us, there was no way we were going to be able to fit in a run. So, J & I did our run Friday morning before work. I know, crazy right?

We were up around 4:45 am and out running by 5:30ish. Unfortunately it just had to be that way. I'm really committed to running this half marathon to the best of my ability. So if that means I need to get up a little earlier to fit in some training around our hectic schedule these days, I'm going to do it. And my sweet husband doesn't even complain. :)

With plans almost every night last week leading up to our Friday run, we decided to just run the same 11 miles we ran 2 weeks ago (here) instead of figuring out a new loop. And let me tell you, what a difference it is for me to run in the morning versus after work. I am totally a morning person now! As I mentioned in my last recap here those 11 miles after work were painful. I honestly felt sick after the run.

Last Friday morning though, we both felt great! Cruised right through the 11 miles. The result?

 
Somehow, we knocked 4 minutes off our total time! Pace of 9:22.

I would be totally lying if I said I wasn't pumped at our time and pace. I know, not the slow and steady we're supposed to be running at (discussed here).... But it definitely made me feel ready for next weekend.

The downside? Well, my recent hectic schedule has meant I've totally slacked on taking glucosamine and adding chia seeds to my breakfast. And that deadly formula means my knees have been a bit achy all weekend long. My joints were pretty sore during our run too.

My goal for this week is to eat chia seeds every morning, as well as take my daily glucosamine supplement. And hopefully that means I'll be good to go Saturday!


Part 2 of this post - Nutrition time saver:

I recently read a time saving tip on The Fitenessista. Put all your smoothie ingredients together into the blender the night before so that in the morning it just needs to be blended (why have I never thought of that?!). Well, knowing I was going to be short on time getting ready for work after our run, I placed frozen fruit, fresh spinach, protein powder, and chia seeds into our blender and stuck it in the fridge before we left. It really was great to come back from the run, pour some almond milk in the blender, and have a smoothie ready within a minute or two. Yum!


The next half-marathon post you'll read will be a recap of our race! Wish us luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I try to respond to all comments by e-mail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips