Monday, May 21, 2012

Bedroom Inspiration

When we first bought our condo, our bedroom was beige. More of a yellowy-beige too. Not.at.all.soothing....

For my bedroom, I'm looking for somewhere to relax and unwind. I want something soft and calm. A place to rest my head and my thoughts. A place to curl up with a good book at times, maybe take a nap. But not somewhere I plan on spending excessive amounts of time in.

When we were looking to purchase a condo in the city, we knew we would be giving up space somewhere. And after checking out an open house for a place with a huge bedroom space and tiny living room, we knew that wasn't for us. We need space to entertain our friends and family. And yes, we need a place to sleep but having excessive square footage in our bedroom was no longer a priority.

So, what do you do when you're working with a small space? For me it was easy, work with lighter colors. I wanted an airy feel. I wanted to be able to walk into my bedroom, take a deep breath, and feel immediately relaxed.

After a year of living with the beige walls, it was time to make some decisions. I'm weird in that, I fear making decisions. Because once they're made, there may be no turning back.

Some of my inspiration for our room:

 via: Pinterest
original source: Simping

via: Pinterest
original source: Restyling Home by Kelly

via: Pinterest
original source: Knight Moves

via: Pinterest
original source: Centsational Girl


How did we do?


I've recently changed the side curtains to white to match the ones behind the bed but I'm not loving it. So I'm not showing you a picture just yet. Something is just off with it, so it's a work in progress. Any suggestions? And like I mentioned before, once a decision is made, it can be hard to change. Currently, our walls are Benjamin Moore Moonshine. And to be honest, I don't love it. I was SO surprised with how light it turned out to be in our room. Yes, I know I said I was going for lighter colors. But I'd like a little more definition between the white baseboards and windowsills than this is currently providing. 

If I was to repaint the room, I think I would use Benjamin Moore's Conventry Gray. It's just that much darker and would make the white linens pop a little more too. But I told J I'd give the BM Moonshine a try. So we'll see what happens!

Things you can't see from this photo that I love about our room because they help define the relaxed space I craved;
  • the white shag rug that your feet first hit when getting up in the morning
  • the matching mercury glass end table lamps I found at Homegoods that add a touch of elegance to the space
  • the oversized floor leaner mirror that reflects the natural light from the windows (and is finished in an espresso stain similar to our headboard)
  • the walk in closet that hides all of our hanging clothes, jays dresser, our shoes, etc. Close that door, and close off any clutter you don't want to look at. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I try to respond to all comments by e-mail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips