Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Bathroom Reno Sneak Peek

I think I've teased you long enough. Honestly, I was hoping it would be done by now. So close though.

Let's remember what we started with, shall we. First reaction, no way. Second thought, hmm this could be fun. Here's my first post with our ideas.

We decided we'd take care of the painting ourselves. What were we thinking? Kidding, sort of. But I've taken on this task and I warn you, it is tedious.

The timeline so far:
  • Fill all one thousand plus nail holes with wood filler, let dry
  • Sand, sand, and sand some more. And wear a mask because it sure gets dusty. 
  • Prime
  • Find a few nail holes you missed while getting ready for bed, fill those
  • Sand the trim and walls again with a high grit sand paper. I love the sand paper blocks.
  • Prime again (on a Friday night).
  • Paint the ceiling the following morning
  • Second coat on the ceiling
  • Prime the top half of the walls
  • Take a break and enjoy life
  • Wake up Sunday, sand again.
  • Paint the board and batten (first coat)


Phew, it's been a lot of work. I have to sand once more and add one more coat of paint on the board and batten. We went with Pure White (Sherwin Williams) in an eggshell finish. I realized last week that if I used the trim paint we've been using in other rooms, the entire lower half of the wall would just be way too shiny. So back to the store we went - Sherwin Williams is running a paint and painting supply sale through October 31st so we took advantage of that. Also - in a bathroom, make sure to choose a paint that resists mold and mildew well.

Then comes the fun part, picking out the color for the top half of the walls!  I threw a few samples we already owned up on the walls - Chelsea Gray (Benjamin Moore) on the left, Greyish (Sherwin Williams) on the right. And have decided ones too dark while the other's too light. But I can't say we don't like the idea of something on the darker side...what do you think?



This project has certainly been a dream (and a major headache at times for sure). I never thought I'd have the opportunity to design my own bathroom this early into owning a home. I didn't think I'd be doing any major renovations just yet! But that's the path we've chosen, and I have learned so much from it. The house just needs a little TLC! ;) The final stages of the bathroom renovation take place this week - installing the shower glass. Then we will be able to finish the room. And I'll share the rest of the details and fixtures then. 


Stay tuned!


If you like this post please let me know by leaving a comment or liking my Facebook page. You can also follow along on TwitterPinterest, and Instagram. Let's stay in touch!




2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing!! This color would be a cool dark color! love it in this bathroom... we painted our guest room this color http://www.pinterest.com/pin/256845984968313506/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I try to respond to all comments by e-mail.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips